The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) approved a decision about a year ago that the drug rehab in Rockford is not okay with since it allows children within the age bracket of 11 to 16 years old would be able to be prescribed OxyContin under certain conditions. This was a decision of much controversy that was disputed between many different parties, some in favor and others against. It has created concern among parents in Rockford, Illinois.
What is OxyContin?
Defined by www.drugs.com, “OxyContin is used to treat moderate to severe pain that is expected to last for an extended period of time. OxyContin is used for around-the-clock treatment of pain. It is not to be used on an “as-needed” basis for pain.” It is essentially oxycodone, but differs from it in that it is slow release, so is used for treating consistent pain that is lasting. It has had a bit of a checkered past at times, such as being mismarketed when it was first released, but does have its value in the management of severe and chronic pain.
The 5 Concerns of Parents
There are always concerns as far as what prescription medications children should be given. Being that their bodies are going to handle it differently than adults, it is important that the medications they take are suitable for them. It is important that parents handle any concerns and considerations they may have when placing their child on a medication, especially regarding an extremely potent drug such as OxyContin.
Here are 5 concerns you should have about your child and OxyContin:
- Avoiding addiction or abuse of OxyContin – Due to how highly addictive it is, this is a point that is of major concern for many parents placing their child on this drug. Purdue Pharma, the company who manufactures OxyContin, helped in this avenue by reformulating the drug to make it harder to abuse in certain ways.
- OxyContin’s Safety – Much research was done along this line, as far as verifying its safety for children. According to an online FDA article, the studies have shown to support this use of the medication.
- Precautions to take – As with any prescription painkiller, there are certain precautions to take. One of the main precautions is to ensure between the doctor and the parent or guardian, that the dosage is correct and is being taken correctly. Another is that if the individual is found to no longer need OxyContin, that they are properly weaned off of it.
- Eligibility for use – OxyContin is a highly potent drug that is used only in certain cases. There are a certain set of guidelines in regard to who it can be used on.
- What conditions is OxyContin used for? – Being that this approval for use of this drug on kids is regarding serious conditions, many are wondering what these conditions are. Conditions it is used for include severe or extensive trauma, pain associated with certain conditions, like cancer, or some major surgeries.
If you or a loved one are struggling with an addiction to drugs or alcohol in Rockford, Illinois, let us assist in finding the help needed. We can find the perfect private inpatient rehab to help you or your loved one. Do not wait, call us today.